What is Couples Counselling?
Couples and relationship counselling is conversation based with the aim of moving clients from where they are presently to where they want to be. As such, I encourage open, confidential and non-judgemental dialogue to develop. My approach focuses on solutions to problems with the view to creating long lasting and effective change. This process unfolds in relation to exploration of what is going on in the couple’s immediate circumstances and what has led them to being where they are.
Every person has a different perspective with different aims and aspirations of what they want from relationships and my work aims to;
- Help people find greater clarity in decision making and goal setting
- Set clear boundaries within the relationship
- Learn skills in managing difficult conversations
- Improve communication Tackling difficult conversations with clear setting of mutual boundaries
- Removing entrenched unhelpful patterns of behaviour
- Explore relationship issues and help to move forward
- Support during change or transition and assist finding balance
- Regaining a sense of ‘self’ within the context of being a couple
- Finding positive change and reconnect to what matters
Seeking relationship counselling shows that you care
How do you know whether you would benefit from relationship therapy? There’s no simple answer, but often we get a sense that things are reaching stalemate. Perhaps you and your partner are arguing about the stupidest things and these rows quickly escalate into something nasty.
Or your relationship feels stale, and if the two of you were not so busy leading separate lives you feel you would die of boredom. Sometimes there is a big issue – such as money, sex, infidelity, in-laws or children – about which you cannot get your partner to understand your viewpoint.